


Day 2 June 19, 2010
9:30 AM This was the Festival Day sponsored by the church so we started at Grace Episcopal Church. We walked around the festival, toured the lovely interior of the church and found the Rector who had plat maps of the cemetery for us. When I called the Church Office from home by some miracle I happened to get the Rector and she looked up all the info we needed and was carrying the papers around the festival looking for us. This was just the beginning of the helpful Virginians. Beside the church were the Long family graves. I had searched for years for my Great-Grandmother Margaret’s grave and last year someone had photographed it for FindAGrave.com so at last I had found her. I have always found Margaret’s story sad because at the very beginning of her life as a wife and mother she died in childbirth. The more research I do I realize almost every family lost a young woman to childbirth; this is truly a better time to be a woman in so many ways. After photographing the tombstones, the Rector helped us locate a grave I wanted to photograph for a FindAGrave photo request to help someone else. It was a touching visit to the lovely church where my ancestors’ funerals were held and where they attended church. The B&W photo was taken about 1900 of Margaret and my grandfather, Adelbert. MA
Ready for more :) Get crackin'!
ReplyDeleteI am really enjoying reading about your exciting trip. The tombstone in your picture looks about in the same shape as some on the ones I have taken pictures of. They get in worse shape every time I go back to visit. I am so glad you got to see all of this. Did you get my email about Yo Yo Ma?
ReplyDelete